Your Weekly Dose of Health June 10, 2016
** We are headed into the last week of the NYS Legislative Session and we are going to need your help! Be on the lookout for an ACTION ALERT from us on Monday in regards to legislation that prevents health insurance companies from changing coverage mid-year, S.5382A! Click here to learn more.
** June is Men’s Health Month and Monday, June 13th is the start of Men’s Health Week! These month and weeklong observances were created to increase awareness of health problems that are prevalent among men and boys, and to encourage early detection and treatment. To raise awareness of men’s health, we encourage you to Wear Blue on Friday, June 17th! To learn about men’s health issues and how you can help raise awareness, please visit Men’s Health Network.
- A public health expert warns that Zika virus could spread throughout the Gulf Coast during the summer months, resulting in many more infections. The financial cost as well could be in the billions of dollars. Read more here.
- Governor of Ohio John Kasich signed a bill to legalize medical marijuana, making Ohio the 25th state to do so.
- An op-ed in The Hill argues for improving mental health services in schools.
- With only three more scheduled days left in the legislative session, lawmakers are busy working to come to a consensus on priority issues. One of those issues is combating heroin addiction. Both the Governor and the Senate have created task forces and issued recommendations. The Senate has passed a package of bills tackling the issue. A final agreement appears to be close. Comptroller DiNapoli released a report this week showing that heroin use in New York State exceeds the national average.
- The New York City Health Department received additional funding to expand the Health Bucks program, which provides low income New Yorkers access to healthy food. See Senator Gilibrand’s statement here.
- Crain’s New York is hosting a healthcare summit on June 27th at the New York Athletic Club in New York City. More details here.
- The United Hospital Fund is holding its annual Medicaid Conference on July 14th in New York City. Read more here.